Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Chili

This is one if my favorite things to cook. It is quick. It's so low in fat and high in fiber.  It fills me right up with very low points value.  Its low enough to eat it with almost anything you like. On the night I make it, we eat it by itself, with cheese and fat free sour cream. Cornbread is a nice accompaniment. I eat left overs with baked potatoes, hot dogs, eggs,... Almost anything really.  My husband and daughter like it with rice.

Light Chili

  3 tsp olive oil 
  8 oz uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
 8 oz uncooked 93% lean ground beef
 1 packet Chili Seasoning Mix- low sodium (or 3 tbs homemade chili seasoning mix)  
 30 oz canned tomato sauce  or 2 cans diced tomatoes
15 oz fat-free canned refried beans  

Brown the meat in olive oil. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer at least 30 min. ( the longer the better) Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.

* Notes about ingredients:
  • I use this combo of meat because it is low in fat. You can use any combination you like, just strain it before adding the other ingredients if you have a higher fat mixture.
  • I like the 'Fire Roasted' diced tomatoes, there are plain, chili ready, with green peppers, and many other varieties. Use your favorite... (Someday, I'm gonna grow and jar my own!)
  • Sometimes, I exchange the refried beans for dried beans. I mix red with black or pinto beans, soak and cook ahead of time.  Of course you can limit the sodium if you can limit the use of canned goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment